I hope many from civil society attend the UK Internet Governance Forum & Best Practice Challenge Launch
Thursday 6 March 2008
16.00 – 18.00 Followed by drinks reception
Attlee Suite, Portcullis House, Westminster
The event is presented by Nominet in collaboration with the Rt Hon Alun
Michael MP and the Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory
The UK has taken a leading role within Internet Governance
internationally. UK delegates at the Internet Governance Forum in Rio
included parliamentarians, the Department of Business, Nominet, the
London Internet Exchange, CBI, the Coalition on Internet Safety, Amnesty
International, CEOP, Oxford Internet Institute, Childnet and the NSPCC
to name a few.
At the Rio meeting, Rt Hon Alun Michael MP made a commitment to create a
multi stakeholder UK IGF to support the international process.
The event will feature:
* A report back from the IGF in Rio.
* Official launch the UK IGF.
* Key components of the UK IGF:
* Plan of action from now until Delhi
* Best Practice Challenge 2008
* Crime Reduction Partnership
* Promoting grass-roots online participation
* Supporting the dynamic coalition between child protection and free
* speech organisations
Confirmed session chairs, panellists & discussants
Rt Hon Alun Michael MP
Margaret Moran MP
Ian Taylor MP
Peter Robbins OBE, Chief Executive, IWF
Lesley Cowley, CEO, Nominet
Emily Taylor, Director of Legal and Policy
Markus Kummer, Executive Coordinator, IGF Secretariat
Lord Toby Harris